Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hi Everyone,

I once again am starting to feel like a hypochondriac and becoming sensitive to odors, bright lights, and loud noises. While there are many situations that can contribute to my fibromyalgia symptoms, the weather, quality of my sleep, and over-exertion have contributed to my flare-up.

I recently experienced a bit of nausea preceded by vomiting. It felt like the nausea was never going to stop. The nurse was concerned about dehydration and I was concerned about not being able to hold down any type of medication. I felt like my stomach was never going to be the same. I was worried that the nausea was an indication of something more serious. I am finally feeling normal again. My eating habits have changed, I am now eating several small meals (snacks) throughout the day. My water intake has not improved however, I am slowly getting back to drinking the recommended amounts of water.

My current goal includes decreased visits to the doctor, learning to control recent spikes in my blood sugar levels, choosing healthier foods and increasing exercise without fatigue and pain. It felt like I was doing so well and all of the sudden I am back to experiencing symptoms! No fun!

Read my tips on dealing with nausea:

Instinctively after experiencing nausea we tend to temporarily discontinue medications (which can irritate the stomach and make vomiting worse), avoid solids, and liquids. To prevent nausea from developing, try the following:
  • Eat small meals throughout the day instead of three large meals.
  • Eat slowly.
  • Consume foods that are cold or room temperature to avoid nausea from the smell of hot or warm foods.
  • Avoid hard-to-digest foods.
  • Rest after eating with your head elevated about 12 inches above your feet.
  • Drink liquids between meals instead of during meals.
  • Drink at least six to eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day to prevent dehydration.
  • Try to eat when you feel less nauseated.
If you begin to feel nauseated, try drinking small amounts of clear, sweetened liquids such as soda or fruit juices, avoiding the juices that are acidic (orange or grapefruit).

As we all know by now, a person can't get over fibromyalgia and we will always have to remain mindful of what may trigger symptoms. 

Unfortunately, I am yet again reminded of my illness. I hope and pray my journey allows you to know....you are not alone.
 
Viv's tip: Acknowledge your situation, accept yourself (you are okay), and remain optimistic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Viv, you are such a sweetie. Always stay optimistic! Don't become a curmugeon (sp?) like me! LOL!

Have you been able to do a bit of yoga?

Fibro Viv said...

Hi Judy,

Yes, I am practicing my yoga because it seems to help. I find that stretching out and simple movements to my head, hands, shoulders, head, neck and face relives stress.

Remaining optimistic is part of the healing process, besides it feels better:)

I hope your days are free of fatigue and pain.